Perfect chocolate cake (kh)
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.03
Title: Perfect chocolate cake (kh)
Yield: 10 Servings
1 c Unsifted unsweetened cocoa
2 c Boiling water
2 3/4 c Sifted flour
2 t Baking soda
1/2 t Salt
1/2 t Baking powder
1 c Butter, softened
2 1/2 c Sugar
1 1/2 t Vanilla
6 oz Semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c Light cream
1 c Butter
2 1/2 c Confectioners sugar
1 c Heavy cream, chilled
1/4 c Confectioners sugar
1 t Vanilla
1. In medium bowl, combine cocoa with boiling water,
mixing with wire whisk until smooth. Cool completely.
Sift flour with soda, salt and powder. Preheat oven to
350. Grease well and lightly flour three 9X1 1/2" layer
2. In large bowl of electric mixer, at high spee, beat
butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla, scraping bowl occasionally,
until light, about 5 minutes. At low speed, beat in flour
mixture, in fourths, alternating with cocoa mixture, in
thirds, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Do not overbeat.
3. Divide evenly into pans; smooth top. Bake 25 to 30
minutes, or until surface springs back when gently pressed with
fingertip. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Carefully loosen sides with
spatula; remove from pans; cool on racks.
4. Frosting: In medium saucepan, combine chocolate pieces,
cream and butter; stir over medium heat until smooth. Remove from
heat. With whisk, blend in 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar. In bowl
set over ice, beat until it holds shape.
5. Filling: Whip cream with sugr and vanilla; refrigerate.
6. To assemble cake: On plate, place a layer, top side
down; spread with half of cream. Place second layer, top side down;
spread with remaining cream. Place third layer, top side up.
7. To frost: With spatula, frost sides first, covering
whipped cream; use rest of frosting on top, swirling decoratively.
Refrigerate at least one hour before serving.
To cut, use thin edged sharp knife; slice with a sawing